Install Questions

Questions, Suggestions, Help and information about the Watch solution
jsbtech

Install Questions

Postby jsbtech » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:08 am

Do I have to install this on each computer on my network? How does labwatch watch all computers on my network, this will help me answer my first questions or give more information.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Install Questions

Postby admin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:56 am

NO, LabWatcher is installed on ONE computer in your network. The interface that LabWatcher is watching should be hooked to a Managed Switch and the Managed switch should be told to Mirror the Routers traffic to the Port labwatcher is hooked to. You can also get or make a Network TAP and hook it between the Router and Switch and monitor that. OR OLD School, if you have a OLD 100baseT HUB you can plug your router and labwatcher into that and monitor your network.

In Short, the interface you are watching should have all the internet traffic flowing across it. This will allow you to see all the traffic on your network.If you install it on a computer and do not have any of this setup, you will see that computers traffic, this can allow you to play and see what the program will do without having to do any configuration.

For example, at my house I have a netgear switch. The Router is plugged into port 1, the server(that has labwatcher on it) has 2 NICs and they are plugged into ports 2 and 3. In the Switch I have told it to mirror port 1 to port 2. In LabWatcher I told it to monitor the NIC that's plugged into port 2. Voila, I am watching the entire network.

jsbtech

Postby jsbtech » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:54 am

Very cool, thank you.

Currently I have a router at my house with an un-managed switch. I will get a managed switch so that I can setup the mirrored ports.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:30 am

OR if you are like me, you prolly have a OLD 100BT HUb lying around. Unless you have some kinda freeky fast internet connection, you should be able to hook that up between the switch and the router and plug the labwatcher monitor interface into the hub. It will work till the switch gets in.

greg

StarbucksGold

Postby StarbucksGold » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:32 am

Greg,

Is it recommended to have static IP Addresses of the internal LAN on one or both NICs, or should I set them both for DHCP? Thanks.

Jeff

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:38 pm

you can do either. I would have the Nic that's not part of the mirror set as fixed IP and the Mirrored NIC set to a random private IP.

For example my system I have the main nic set to 192.168.0.5 and that's part of my network and the mirrored nic is set to 10.2.1.4

greg

StarbucksGold

Postby StarbucksGold » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:01 pm

Very good. Thanks Greg. I appreciate the feedback. This is a great tool. Looking forward to having this deployed at all our clients.

-jeff

Andrew

Postby Andrew » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Is there a way to exclude an ip? The ip of the computer I have the software on is off setting the results.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:31 pm

no there is not a way to exclude the IP. But if you have 2 nics in the computer one is the sniff and th eother is normal, but they both have a local ip on the same network. Just change the sniff one to a IP not on your network like going from 192.168 to 10.0.

this is what I have had to do here as well and when I did this the 10.0.0.1 card was never shown as it was not used at all.

greg

MBB

Postby MBB » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:43 am

Can labwatcher use flows from a cisco core router instead of spanning?

Return to “Watch”